1.Bhetki Mach – 8-10 pcs
2.Onion chopped – 1 small
3.Mustard paste (Sorshe Baata) – 2 tspn
4.Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
5.Chilli powder – 1/2 tspn
6.Salt – To taste
7.Green Chillies – 2 for grinding + 3-4 (slit)
8.Coriander leaves – 2 tspn (chopped)
9.White Oil – 2 tbsp for frying the fish
10.Mustard Oil – 3 tspn for cooking + 1 tspn for garnishing.
1. Rub a pinch of salt, turmeric and chilli powder on fish.
2. Grind mustard with 1/2 tspn salt and 2 green chillies. Do not strain the paste but grind as finely as possible.
3. Make a paste of turmeric and chilli powder in 4 tspn water.
1. In a frying pan (kadhai), heat 2 tspn white oil. Fry the prepared fish pieces on low heat till slightly crisp (approximately for 3-4 minutes) and keep aside.
2. Heat 3 tspn mustard oil in the kadhai. Add onions and fry on medium heat for 2 minutes till the onion starts changing colour.
3. Add turmeric and chilli paste and fry masala for 1 min.
4. Next add mustard paste. Turn heat to medium and stir for a minute. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Add salt and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add fried fish pieces and cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
6. Add 1 tspn mustard oil, green chillies, and chopped coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice.