Bhetki Maacher Kalia
1. Bhetki fish cut into medium pieces.
2. 1 Onion grinded to paste.
3. 1 tspn of Ginger – Garlic paste.
4. 2 Potatoes, chopped in medium pieces.
5. 1 tomato crushed to form a thick paste.
6. half cup Mustard oil.
1. Rub the cleaned pieces of fish with turmeric, salt and then keep aside for 20 minutes. Shallow fry in mustard oil. Keep the fried pieces aside.
2. Fry the potatoes with sprinkle of turmeric till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
3. Temper the same oil with 2 bay leaves (tej pata) and 1/2 tspn cumin seeds. Add about half tspn sugar followed by the onion paste. saute the onion paste. Now add
the ginger-garlic paste and continue frying till raw smell of onion is gone. Sprinkle water in between if you see the masala sticking.
4. Next add the thick tomato paste, sprinkle some salt, a little turmeric powder and fry the tomato. Add 4-5 slitted green chillies.
5.Make a thick paste of 2 tspn cumin powder, 1 tspn coriander powder, 1/2 tspn Red Chilli powder. Add to the frying pan and fry till you see oil separating from the
6. Now add the fried potatoes, mix with the spices and then add a cup of warm water. Add salt to taste. Cover and let the gravy simmer.
7. Once the potatoes are cooked, taste the gravy and make adjustments if required. Sprinkle a pinch of garam masala if you wish.
8. Slowly add fried fish to the gravy and simmer for few more minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve with rice.