Mixed Vegetable Curry
1. Potatoes – 5 medium sized (diced).
2. Eggplant – 1 large (diced).
3. Squash – 350 gms (diced).
4. Peas – 450 gms.
5. Ghee – 3 tbsp.
6. Black Mustard Seed – one and half tspn.
7. Red Chilli – 2
8. Bay leaves – 2
9. Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tspn
10.Fennel Seed – 1 tspn
11.Cumin Powder – 1 tspn
12.Water – two and a half cup.
13.Sugar – 2 tbsp.
14.Lemon – 2 (quartered).
15.Parsley – 6 sprigs.
16.Salt to taste.
1. Heat the ghee in a large pan or kadhai over medium heat.
2. Add the mustard seeds, bay leaves and fenugreek seeds.
3. When the mustard seeds stop sputtering and the fenugreek seeds darken, add the red chillies, fennel seeds and cumin powder.
4. Immediately add the diced potatoes.
5. Fry the potatoes for about 8 minutes, till it turns golden brown on all sides.
6. Then add the squash and eggplant.
7. Keep cooking and stirring for 5 more minutes.
8. Now put in the peas along with the water and cover the pan.
9. Cook over medium low heat.
10.Stir gently every 5 minutes or so. Take care not to break the veggies while stirring.
11.After 15 minutes, add the sugar and salt. Stir to mix and cook slowly on the same low heat until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is thick.
12.Garnish it with wedges of lemon and sprigs of parsley.
13.Serve this delectable Bengali Tarkari with hot pooris or paranthas.