1. Pork – 1 kg (preferably shoulder or other stewing cut).
2. Chilli powder – 1 tspn.
3. Turmeric powder – 2 tspn.
4. salt to taste.
5. Onion – 2 medium sized.
6. Green chilli – 5.
7. Garlic – 20 cloves (2 pods).
8. Ginger – 1 pc (8cm).
9. Cumin seeds (jeera) – 3 tbsp.
10.Cloves – 5-6 (whole).
11.Water – 250 ml.
12.Coriander – 5 tbsp (whole).
13.Black Pepper – 5 tbsp.
14.Black Vinegar – 2 tbsp.
15.Lemon – 1 medium sized (to serve).
1. Cut the pork to medium sized cubes and wash thoroughly.
2. Put the pork in a mixing bowl. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Prepare the masala (mixture) by grinding onion, green chilli, garlic, ginger, 1 tablespoon of cumin seed and 2 whole cloves to a coarse mixture (use a food processor or pestle and mortar). Do not add water.
4. Boil water in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan. Add the ground masala to the boiling water and continue boiling for 1 or 2 minutes.
5. Add marinated pork and cook until tender (for about 20 to 25 minutes).
6. In a dry frying pan, toast 2 tbsp of cumin seeds, 5 tbsp of coriander, 2 tbsp of black pepper and remaining cloves till fragrant. Grind the toasted mixture to a very fine powder.
7. Add the toasted and powdered spices and black vinegar to the pork. Continue cooking on low heat until oil starts to separate from the sauce.
8. Pork curry is ready to serve. Fresh lemon juice may be added while serving (not while cooking).