Doi Ilish (Yoghurt Hilsa Curry)
1. Hilsa (ilish) – 800 gms (cut into ½ inch thick pieces).
2. Mustard oil – 1 cup.
3. Onion – 3 medium sized.
4. Salt to taste.
5. Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp.
6. Red Chilli Powder – ½ tspn.
7. Mustard paste – 1 tbsp.
8. Green Chillies – 8-10.
9. Yoghurt – 1 cup.
10.Sugar – 1 tbsp.
1. Wash the fish pieces properly. Mix some salt to the fish pieces and set it aside.
2. On a pan, heat oil. Add thickly sliced onions and fry until the onions turn slightly golden.
3. Now add the salt, coriander and red chilli powder. Stir until the oil seperates.
4. Add the fish pieces and mustard paste. Cook for a while.
5. Add the green chillies and yoghurt. Sprinkle the sugar and stir for a bit. While stirring make sure the fish pieces do not break. Cook until the water of the yoghurt dries up and thick gravy is formed.
6. On a separate pan fry a handful of thinly sliced onions until the onions turn dark golden brown. Sprinkle the fried onions on top of the Doi Ilish when it is being served.