1. Idli rice – 1 and a 1/2 cup.
2. Black gram – 1/2 cup.
3. Fennugreek seeds – 1 tspn.
4. Salt – 1 tbsp.
1. Soak rice and black gram separately in water for atleast 1 hour. Soaking overnight can be done too. 2. Add fenugreek seeds to black gram.
3. Drain the water and grind the black gram to a silky soft texture.
4. Next grind the rice coarsely. Mix it with black gram batter along with salt.
5. Now leave the batter to rest and ferment for at least 6 hours till the batter rises to almost double the size.
6. Grease the idli plates with few drops of oil and fill with idli batter.
7. Steam them for about 10 minutes till they rise and become firm. (If you do not have idli stand, grease stainless steel tumblers.
8. Switch off the stove and let it rest for a minute or 2. After that use a wet spoon to remove the idlis from the idli plate.
9. Serve hot idlis with piping hot sambar, coconut chutney and vada.