Chili Crab – a very popular Malaysian dish
Dungeness Crab (about 2 lb size): 1
sprig of coriander (chopped for garnishing only): 1
Sugar: 1 tbsp
Tamarind juice: 2 tbsp (seeds of tamarind in water)
Salt to taste
Cooking oil: 2 tbsp
Water: 1/4 cup
Dried red chilies (soaked in hot water and deseeded): 8
Soy bean sauce: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 3 cloves
Fresh ginger: 1 inch
1. Clean the crab and chop it into pieces (with shell).
2. Keep the green and juicy stuff aside.
3. Mix the spices and grind them finely. Make sure the spice paste the spice paste is finely blended.
4. Soak the tamarind seeds in some warm water for 15-20 minutes. Extract the juice without the seeds.
5. Heat up the wok.
6. Add cooking oil into the wok
7. Add the spice paste and stir until the fragrance comes out.
8. Add the crab and stir.
9. Add 1/4 cup of water and stir.
10. Cover the wok with a lid and keep it for 2-3 minutes.
11. Add the green and juicy stuff from the shell and stir well.
12. Add sugar, tamarind juice and salt to taste.
13. Stir until the crabs are cooked nicely and turned red.