1. Grated lauki/dudhi/opo squash – 1 cup.
2. Whole wheat flour/atta – 1.5 cups.
3. Gram flour/besan – 3 tspn.
4. Curd/dahi/yogurt – 3 tbsp.
5. 1 green chili + ½ inch ginger, crushed to a paste in mortar pestle or 1 tsp ginger-green chili paste
6. Coriander powder/dhania powder – 1.5 cups.
7. Cumin powder/jeera – 1/2 tspn.
8. Red chili powder/lal mirch powder – 1/2 tspn.
9. Turmeric powder/haldi – 1/2 tspn.
10.Oil – 2 tbsp.
11.Salt – 1/2 tspn.
1. First rinse, peel and then grate the lauki in a bowl or parat/large plate. grate about ¾ to 1 cup lauki
2. Add the spices – 1 tsp ginger-green chili paste, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¾ tsp salt.
3. Mix the spices & salt very well with the grated lauki and keep covered aside for 5 minutes. the lauki will release its juices.
4. Then add 1.5 cups whole wheat flour and 3 tbsp besan or gram flour. if you don’t have gram flour, then skip. just make the theplas with whole wheat flour. mix well.
5. Add 2 tbsp yogurt and 1 tbsp oil.
6. Mix and then begin to knead into a dough.
7. Make a smooth soft dough.
8. Make medium sized balls from the dough.
9. On a dusted rolling board, take each ball and begin to roll it.
10.Sprinkle some more whole wheat flour, if required while rolling.
11.Roll to a round of about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
12 Place the rolled thepla on a hot tawa or griddle.
13.When you see bubbles on the thepla, flip it.
14.Spread some oil on the thepla all over.
16.Spread some oil on this side now. if making for tiffin or picnic lunches, then add some more oil, so that the theplas stay soft.
17.Flip once or twice till the lauki theplas are well cooked. make all theplas this way.
serve the lauki thepla hot, warm or at room temperature with mango pickle or curd/yogurt.