1. Coconut – 3/4 cup.
2. Toor daal – 1/2 cup.
3. Turmeric a pinch.
4. Vegetables (like cucumber, ridge gourd, corn, okra) – 1 and a 1/2 cup.
5. Teppal/tirphal – 3-4.
6. Kokum pieces – 2-3.
7. Red chilies – 4-5.
8. Salt to taste.
1. Cook toor daal with a pinch of turmeric.
2. Cook the vegetables in enough water (take care not to overcook the vegetables, do not cook them along with daal, they cook faster and daal remains hard if both are mixed).
3. Grind coconut and chilies to a very smooth paste.
4. Add masala and vegetables to the cooked daal and boil. Add the kokum pieces. Crush the teppal/tirphal in one table spoon water and add it to the curry. Cook till the masala thickens a bit (This is a watery side dish, so do not make it too dry).
5. Serve with rice and daali thoy.